Understanding the Importance of Ethical Gifting
With September being Organic Month, it’s important to take a moment to pause and reflect on our impact on our planet. The surge in popularity for nature documentaries like ‘Our Planet’ have given us a better platform for really understanding how our daily actions really can take a toll on the planet. For example, according to One Green Planet Org, an estimated 300 football fields worth of rainforest are cleared every hour to make space for palm oil plantations. Every hour. It’s truly devastating.
However, there is hope for our planet. By buying ethical gifts and products, we can really improve the world around us, not just for the planet, but for the people around the world who manage our planet. In this blog post, we look at why incorporating ethical purchasing into our gift giving is so important.
What is ethical gifting?
Ethical gifting is the act of buying sustainable, cruelty free and natural products that are kind to the environment, wildlife and the people who make and utilise the products.
Although not a new concept, buying ethically has really increased in the past ten years as there has been increased visibility to media such as documentaries and charities with celebrity endorsements.
There are different types of ethical gifts, and it can be confusing to understand the different terms. Here are some examples:
- Sustainable – if a product is sustainable, it has usually been produced using natural, responsible materials in an ethical way, and can be disposed of or recycled with minimal impact on the environment
- Cruelty-free – normally seen on the back of beauty products, this means the product has not been tested on animals.
- Organic - organic farming sustains the health of the soil, eco-system and people, by using fewer pesticides, no artificial fertilisers and maintaining higher animal welfare standards
- Vegan-friendly – this means the product contains only plant-based ingredients that vegans can consume, and no animal-derived ingredients or by-products.
Why is ethical gifting important?
From global companies to smaller, ethically focused businesses, it’s now easier than ever to buy ethical gifts.
Here are three statistics that highlight the importance of buying ethical gifts:
- The amount of plastic rubbish that flows into the oceans every year is expected to nearly triple by 2040 to 29 million metric tons (National Geographic).
- 500,000 animals suffer and die every year because of cosmetics testing (Humane Society International).
- The carbon footprint is currently 60% of our overall Ecological Footprint and its most rapidly growing component (Footprint Network).
Ethical Gift Boxes: Supporting the Planet
At Amala Curations, we are 100% committed to curating luxury ethical gift boxes that reduce our negative impact on the environment, while also having a beautiful gift that you would love to receive or give to a loved one.
With every gift box we create, we take the utmost care to ensure we are cruelty-free, eco-friendly, and our products are made from natural ingredients. We do that by working closely with partners who share our values and commitment to benefiting the planet.
What’s more, we are an official partner of One Tree Planted, a non-profit dedicated to global deforestation. When you buy one of our gift boxes, we plant a tree, helping us to give back to the environment.
Ethical Gifts: Serenity Deluxe Gift Box
Our Serenity Gift Box is a beautiful, luxury ethical gift box with a range of carefully curated products that reduce stress and anxiety and enhance tranquillity.
The box contains products such as soothing bath salts, aromatherapy roll-on with essential oils, organic tea and a personalised, hand-written note on seed paper. Each gift box is luxuriously wrapped and the box itself can be reused or recycled.
If you are looking for a luxury gift that is eco-conscious, our gift boxes are a perfect choice.
If you have any comments or questions on our blog or gifting in general, please get in touch or leave a comment below – we’d love to hear from you.